Seeking qualified grunts.
Focused on improving humanity's most important invention: Software.
Our mission is to make it 10x easier to understand, build, and deploy software (see our mission and vision page for more details). If you're passionate about making software 10x better and believe you can make a significant impact, we'd love to hear from you.
Gruntwork is a Human-Friendly Company.
We aim to build a company:
- Where you get to take on big challenges, but the hours are reasonable.
- Where everyone is treated fairly and with respect, but where disagreement is welcome.
- Where the team takes great pride in our craft, but also gets things done.
- Where we are all focused on advancing the company's mission, but get plenty of time off.
- That is welcoming, safe, and inclusive for people of all cultures, genders, and races.
In short, we want to work on interesting problems, with interesting people, while leading interesting lives.
How We WorkCheck out How we built a distributed, self-funded, family-friendly, profitable startup and How we got to $1 million in annual recurring revenue with $0 in fundraising for all the details on what we do, how we fund it, how we hire, and how we work.
We are always ready to add the next Grunt, but as a 100% bootstrapped company, we only hire when our revenue supports it, so timing matters. If you're inspired by what you've seen and believe in a little serendipity, we would love to hear from you. Here are the positions we're currently looking for:
What You'll Work On
- Gruntwork Houston: build a fundamentally better DevOps experience. Houston consists of a serverless REST API (Node.js, TypeScript, Lambda, API Gateway), a web-based single-page app (Angular, TypeScript, SASS), and a CLI tool (Go).
- Infrastructure as Code Library: create reusable infrastructure modules for a variety of infrastructure (e.g., Kubernetes, ELK, Consul, Vault, Kafka, MongoDB, InfluxDB, Jenkins, etc), using a variety of tools (e.g., Terraform, Go, Python, Bash, Docker, Packer, etc), across many clouds (e.g., AWS, GCP, and Azure).
- Open Source: contribute to our open source projects, including our open source modules, Terragrunt, Terratest, cloud-nuke, bash-commons, and more.
- And a little bit of everything else. Gruntwork is a small, distributed, self-funded, profitable startup, so things are changing all the time, and we all wear many hats. You should expect to write plenty of code, but, depending on your interests, there will also be ample opportunity to write blog posts, give talks, contribute to open source, go to conferences, talk with customers, do sales calls, think through financial questions, interview candidates, mentor new hires, design products, come up with marketing ideas, discuss strategy, consider legal questions, and all the other tasks that are part of working at a small company.
Your Ideal Background
- You know how to write code across the stack ("Dev").
- You have experience running production software ("Ops").
- You have a strong background in software engineering (or are working hard on it!).
- Bonus points for a sense of humor, empathy, and curiosity.
- Note that we're less concerned with prior experience than we are with curiosity about all areas of the stack and demonstrated ability to learn quickly and go deep when necessary.
If the above describes you, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.