Seeking qualified grunts.
Focused on improving humanity's most important invention: Software.
Our mission is to make it 10x easier to understand, build, and deploy software (see our mission and vision page for more details). If you're passionate about making software 10x better and believe you can make a significant impact, we'd love to hear from you.
Gruntwork is a Human-Friendly Company.
We aim to build a company:
- Where you get to take on big challenges, but the hours are reasonable.
- Where everyone is treated fairly and with respect, but where disagreement is welcome.
- Where the team takes great pride in our craft, but also gets things done.
- Where we are all focused on advancing the company's mission, but get plenty of time off.
- That is welcoming, safe, and inclusive for people of all backgrounds and identities.
In short, we want to work on interesting problems, with interesting people, while leading interesting lives.
How We Work
Check out How we built a distributed, self-funded, family-friendly, profitable startup and How we got to $1 million in annual recurring revenue with $0 in fundraising for all the details on what we do, how we fund it, how we hire, and how we work.
Our benefits reflect our values. We believe compensation should be fair, transparent, and generous. We hire Grunts in many countries, so some details may vary.
- Location Independent, Above-Market Salary. To reduce bias and increase transparency, we compute all salaries using formulas. The formula factors in your title and uses a multiplier to produce a result that's above market for that title. Our salaries are location independent.
- Equity. To reduce bias and increase transparency, we compute all stock grants using formulas. The formula for equity factors in your title and your employee number. Moreover, we offer a Change in Control Bonus Plan, inspired by Progressive Equity, where if there is a large exit event, employees end up with a larger portion of the proceeds (rather than the founders hogging it all).
- Profit-Sharing Bonus. We set aside a pot of money at the end of each year based on profits and distribute bonuses according to a formula that uses as inputs your level within the company and the length of your tenure at the company.
- Hardware Budget. We'll buy you a brand new 16" Apple MacBook Pro (or other computer of your choosing of equivalent value) upon joining. It will be owned by you, not the company.
- Personal Budget. We'll give you a personal budget of $1,000 USD per month to spend on your workspace (e.g., a co-working space), health (e.g., gym, yoga), time (e.g., babysitter), and/or learning (e.g., books, courses).
- Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance. We offer a range of high-quality plans with a large portion paid by the company. For countries other than the US, this includes extra coverage on top of your statutory insurance.
In addition to the global benefits listed above, we have some US-specific benefits as well:
- FSA and HSAs. We don't contribute to these accounts, but we do offer them as an option.
- 401(k). We contribute a portion of your salary to your 401(k).
- Disability insurance. If you get disabled, we have a policy that will pay out a portion of your salary.
Gruntwork is a remote-first company. That means you can work from home, a co-working space, cafe, or wherever else you prefer, there's no commute, and you have complete control over your work hours. To allow at least a few hours of overlap between all employees for the occasional live meeting or pair-coding session, we are currently hiring from most countries in the time zones between GMT-7 (e.g. California, USA) to GMT+2 (e.g., Berlin, Germany).
Life First, Then Work
We believe in planning our work around our lives, not the other way around. To help achieve that we offer:
- Remote work that lets you control your hours and physical location.
- Normal working hours that usually amount to not more than ~40h per week, and no working on weekends or holidays.
- Deliberate project planning that takes into account the time zone of all team members.
- A minimum vacation policy where you must take at least 4 weeks per year away from work.
- No one carrying a pager and no on-call rotation. We enable this by only offering support contracts with SLAs of responses on business days / hours only.