Seeking qualified grunts.
Gruntwork is a Human-Friendly Company.
We want to build a company that is human friendly: that is, a company that is welcoming, safe, and inclusive for people of all cultures, genders, and races; a company where everyone is treated fairly and with respect; a company where you get to take on big challenges, but the hours are reasonable and you get plenty of time off. In short: we want to work on interesting problems, with interesting people, while leading interesting lives.
To be honest, we're still learning the best way to accomplish it, but here are some of the things we do today:
- We are transparent with just about everything within the company, including all sharing all financial details.
- We determine everyone's compensation using (non-public) formulas and we share those formulas with everyone in the company so you know that everyone is being treated exactly the same way.
- We have a minimum vacation policy.
- Even though we are a 100% bootstrapped startup, we not only offer equity, but also pay market salaries.
- Instead of having you spend a day solving artificial coding problems on a whiteboard as an interview, if we think you could be a good fit, we'll hire you for a day (or longer, if you're available) to work on a real project, using your normal coding environment, and we'll pay you for it.
- We are 100% distributed, which means you can work from anywhere in the world, your work hours are totally up to you, and a few times per year, we fly everyone out to exotic locales (recent trips included Dublin, Phoenix, and Austin) to work in person and have a little fun.
- And finally, we believe a company must serve all its stakeholders, not just its customers or shareholders. That means that the welfare of our team, our customers, our suppliers, and our families all matter to us.
We've taken inspiration from a number of sources and remain open-minded to continuing to improve:
- Buffer: Transparent salary calculator
- Quip: A Counterintuitive System for Startup Compensation
- TravisCI: From Open to Minimum Vacation Policy
- Basecamp: Employee Benefits at Basecamp
We're focused on improving humanity's most important invention: software.
See our mision and vision for an overview of what we work on. If you're passionate about making software 10x better and believe you can make a significant impact, we'd love to hear from you.
We are always ready to add the next Grunt, but as a 100% bootstrapped company, we only hire when our revenue supports it, so timing matters. If you're inspired by what you've seen and believe in a little serendipity, we would love to hear from you. Here are the position we're looking for:
Senior Full-Stack Engineer
We're looking for a senior full-stack engineer interested in engineering a fundamentally better DevOps experience. If that's you, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more info, see the blog post we wrote when we were looking for employee #1: Gruntwork is hiring DevOps Engineers.