Seeking qualified grunts.
Focused on improving humanity's most important invention: Software.
See our mission and vision for an overview of what we work on. If you're passionate about making software 10x better and believe you can make a significant impact, we'd love to hear from you.
Gruntwork is a Human-Friendly Company.
We aim to build a company:
- Where you get to take on big challenges, but the hours are reasonable.
- Where everyone is treated fairly and with respect, but where disagreement is welcome.
- Where the team takes great pride in our craft, but also gets things done.
- Where we are all focused on advancing the company's mission, but get plenty of time off.
- That is welcoming, safe, and inclusive for people of all cultures, genders, and races.
In short, we want to work on interesting problems, with interesting people, while leading interesting lives.
How We Work
We're still learning the best way to run a company, but here are some of the things we do today:
- We are transparent with just about everything within the company, including all sharing all financial details.
- We determine everyone's compensation using (non-public) formulas and we share those formulas with everyone in the company so you know that everyone is being treated exactly the same way.  
- We have a minimum vacation policy. 
- We offer not only equity, but also pay above-market salaries, and offer a generous benefits package that includes 100% paid dental coverage, 100% paid vision coverage, and significant cost sharing on health coverage.  
- We have grown our company without any outside investment, giving us the freedom to pursue our mission while holding true to our values.
- We are 100% distributed, which means you can work from anywhere in the world, your work hours are totally up to you, and a few times per year, we fly everyone out to exotic locales (recent trips included Dublin, Phoenix, and Austin) to work in person and have a little fun.
- If we think you could be a good fit, we'll hire you for a day (or longer, if you're available) to work on a real project, using your normal coding environment, and we'll pay you for it. This way, even in the intervewing phase, we get to work together right away.
- And finally, we believe a company must serve all its stakeholders, not just its customers or shareholders. That means that the welfare of our team, our customers, our suppliers, and our families all matter to us.
Inspiration and References
We've taken inspiration from a number of sources and remain open-minded to continuing to improve:
- Buffer: Transparent Salaries
- Quip: A Counterintuitive System for Startup Compensation
- TravisCI: From Open to Minimum Vacation Policy
- Basecamp: Employee Benefits at Basecamp
- Our benefits package is provided by JustWorks.
We are always ready to add the next Grunt, but as a 100% bootstrapped company, we only hire when our revenue supports it, so timing matters. If you're inspired by what you've seen and believe in a little serendipity, we would love to hear from you. Here are the position we're currently looking for:
Senior Full-Stack Engineer
What You'll Work On
- Engineering a fundamentally better DevOps experience.
What You'll Do
- Work on just about every aspect of the Gruntwork stack. Write Go-based CLI tools, work on Serverless apps in Node, write Terraform modules, write Python scripts and Bash scripts, do frontend development, learn the newest tech from AWS, invent new ways of managing infrastructure. We're looking for true full-stack engineers who can go deep in any area. We're less concerned with prior experience than we are with demonstrated ability to go deep when necessary.
Your Ideal Background
- You know how to write code across the stack ("Dev").
- You have experience running production software ("Ops").
- You have a strong background in software engineering (or are working hard on it!).
- Bonus points for outstanding sense of humor.
If the above describes you, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more info, see the blog post we wrote when we were looking for employee #1: Gruntwork is hiring DevOps Engineers.